I managed to pick up a couple of t-shirts at a Labor Day sale for just $1.99 each - They were pretty bog standard tee's but I bought them with repurposing in mind...
Without too much of a plan, other than knowing I could loose some off the length and add some kind of details I chopped two 1.5" sections from the bottom hem:
and sliced a v in the neck to give a better neckline. I used the hem from the bottom of the t-shirt to bind the neck and make a more finished edge after it had been hacked by me:
I then sewed the hem, onto the inside of the neckline with a view to turning it right side out and topstitching it down (much like you do the binding on a quilt)
wrong side of binding on inside of neckline...the flip the top the right way out and topstitch down:
and you get a more finished v-neckline:
I cut the rest of the t-shirt strips in half and started making ruffles. Choose a long stitch on the machine and stitch the entire length of the strip, then, hanging onto one threat, sinch the fabric to ruffle it up (this can also be done by hand stitching just as easily)
Then the fun bit - add them wherever you desire...
I decided to add a flower detail using some of the fabric also. Just take a strip and wind it around and around, hand stitching it to secure the shape:
and the other side...
then just put it all together!
I sewed a vintage pin in the the middle of the flower to give it a little bling!
et voila! an updated version of a tired tee!!