My boy loves turtles. He has done for years, it just his thing and whilst Star Wars and Lego are his go-to occupiers right now, he still sleeps with his turtles...a variety of them.
So when I saw this fabric online about 3 years ago, I knew I had to get some for him. The trouble was it was an older fabric that was out of print and no longer available in stores. So the search began. After a while and having stumbled upon a sewing message board, I found a lady who was willing to part with a yard of this fabric and I was in the right place at the right time. (I think since then it has been reprinted as it seems to be widely available again now!)
Having scored the golden chalice I immediately set about working on sewing Joshy a quilt. I wanted to use other fabrics which made the turtles stand out but also gave the quilt some texture. I found a turquoise velveteen stretch fabric that's intended purpose was for making into clothes. I saw the sheen and thought if I could pull this off it may be pretty cool. I then found the dark green fabric - a linen with lots of texture and a stark contrast to the turquoise.
The dark blue fabric was again a clothing fabric that had a little stretch to it, but no sheen so it seemed to complement the rest. I fussy cut the turtles and started piecing, making up blocks that were constructed differently but ended up at the same size. I was excited to start putting it together and getting an idea of how it was going to look and then I stopped. I think it was at the time that we were packing up and moving to our current house and the part-done quilt was packed along with some other unfinished projects and promptly forgotten about.
I stumbled across this project a week ago and knew I had to finish it and yesterday I tackled it.
I am so glad its done, glad that my boy finally has a mama-made quilt (his first since he was a baby) and now I will go take a peek at just what else is in that box of unfinished projects....