Yesterday I got the pleasure of sewing all day and into the night for a wonderful cause. I was joined by around 15 other ladies (and 4 sweet girls from the 5th grade!) We have been collecting pillowcases for around 6 months, to turn into dresses for Ugandan orphaned girls.
As much as we wanted to make pretty dresses, our main aim was to make them hardwearing. This meant that every raw edge needed to be serged, even if if was to be double hemmed, even if it wouldn't be seen. We also decided to make all of our own bias tape, so that it was soft (unlike the shop bought stuff) and again hardwearing.
All of that took time.
So even after 8+ hours of sewing and 15 women helping, we had just 15 dresses completed and another 51 in stages of completion.
I have until the first week in March to finish them up to meet our deadline. However, this morning I am going to take a small break to make another one of these little mug rugs...(an un-wonky one!) as a teacher appreciation gift. Teacher appreciation week is fast approaching and I have a week of gifts to make for both my kiddies sweet teachers, another worthwhile cause!